Cold weather tips
Stay warm and cosy in your home during the cold weather.
- have regular hot drinks and at least one hot meal a day
- wear several light layers of warm clothes to keep heat in
- keep active and wrap up warm if you go outside
- draw your curtains at dusk and keep doors closed to block out draughts
- keep your living room at around 18–21°C (64–70°F) to keep warm
- check dripping taps and overflows to prevent waste pipes freezing and flooding
- have your annual gas service to keep your heating system working well
- if you’re not going to be at home for a couple of days, set your heating to come on for a couple of hours a day – and leave a key with a friend or neighbour.