Universal Credit - Changes to rent

If you are on Universal Credit, you must let the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) know about your annual rent increase.

You should do this by putting the new figure into your online journal. You can only do this from the date your rent rise comes into effect - 28 March, 2019.

We can’t tell the DWP about your rent rise on your behalf, but if you need help with your journal please speak to your housing officer.

If you don’t tell the DWP about your rent rise, your Universal Credit will not be increased to cover your new rent.

You can find more information about Universal Credit on our website at 'Universal Credit - What is it?'

If you receive Housing Benefit, you don’t need to do anything. Your benefit will be automatically updated.

If you pay by standing order you need to speak to your bank about increasing your payment.

Make sure you include your rent reference number so your payment reaches your account without delay.

See below our step-by-step guide on how to update your online journal with your rent changes.

How to update your online journal

Sign in to your Universal Credit online journal at www.universal-credit.service.gov.uk/sign-in and follow these simple steps:

  • click on 'Report a change of circumstances'
  • you will see a message asking 'What do you want to tell us about?'
  • click 'Where you live and what it costs'
  • click the green 'Change' button
  • click 'Something else' from the two options
  • add the date when you want your rent change to start
  • add your new rent charge
  • your will get a link from your job coach to upload a copy of your rent increase letter.