Universal Credit - Changes to rent
If you’re on Universal Credit, and claiming housing costs to pay your rent, you must let the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) know of this change in your rent.
To make this easier for you, the DWP will send you a ‘To Do’ notification to your journal in the first week of April 2020.
You must complete the ‘To Do’ before the end of your Universal Credit assessment period in April 2020 or you will miss out on the money you are due.
Unfortunately, we can’t tell the DWP on your behalf, but if you need help with your journal please speak to your housing officer.
If you don’t tell the DWP about your rent rise, your Universal Credit won’t be increased to cover your new rent and you could miss out on benefits you are due.
You can find more information about Universal Credit on our website at 'Universal Credit - What is it?'
If you receive Housing Benefit you don’t need to do anything. Your benefit will be automatically updated.
If you pay by standing order you need to speak to your bank about increasing your payment.
Make sure you include your rent reference number so your payment reaches your account without delay.
What you need to do
A new “Report any changes to your housing costs” message will be in your “To-do List” on 1 April 2020.
Sign in to your Universal Credit online journal at www.universal-credit.service.gov.uk/sign-in and follow these simple steps:
- Click on your To-Do List
- Click on the “Report any changes to your housing costs To-do”.
You will be asked the following questions:
- “Has your rent changed?” - Select Yes
- “Have your service charges changed?” - Select Yes
- “When did your housing costs change?” - Enter 28/03/2020
- “How much will you be charged for your new rent (excluding service charges)?” - Enter your rent amount
- “How frequent is your new rent?” – Enter Monthly
- “How much will you be charged for your new service charges (eligible)?” – Enter your service charge amount or £0.00 if you do not pay service charges
- “How frequent is your new service charges?” – Enter Monthly
Once you have answered these questions you will see a summary of your answers. If you have made any mistakes you can change your answers.
If you are happy with the information you have provided press confirm to complete the To-Do.